Six months ago, I adopted a plant-based diet. I haven’t looked back since then, really, but I have slowly reinvented some of my favorite dishes. I have wanted a stock-free gravy for some time. I make vegetable stock almost every week, but I wanted something reminiscent of the decadent wonderfulness I used to generously slather over french fries. It could easily be made gluten free by substituting rice flour. I could also see a smooth gravy without the “beef”, or I could have easily have added mushrooms (if I had any on hand!). You could also switch up the spices, add more pepper/your milk of choice instead of water, and easily make a sausage-inspired gravy. Lastly, you could totally get away with less salt. One of the things I love about gravy is its unabashed saltiness, though: so I would see that as sacrilege…but you do you! 😉 Anyway, I think this will appeal to plantasauruses and omnivores alike.
1 cup Earth Balance brand Soy free buttery spread
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup water
1 cup Beyond Meat brand Beyond Beef Beefy Crumble (in Frozen Foods at Target)
2 tsp coarse Kosher salt
½ tsp freshly-ground 4-pepper blend
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
dash, dry rosemary
1/8 tsp dry oregano
1/8 tsp savory
1/8 tsp dry thyme
1. Melt the buttery spread in a medium fry pan over medium heat.
2. Whisk/stir the flour in slowly. Stir the roux frequently, until thickened and golden brown (10-15 minutes). Add the garlic and onion as it thickens.
3. Stir in the salt, pepper, vinegar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, oregano, savory and thyme. Reduce the heat to medium low.
4. Add the water, about ¼ cup at a time, and stir. Bring heat back to medium.
5. Add the beefy crumble, stirring frequently. After 5-7 minutes, or until the gravy is thick and the crumbles are incorporated, remove from heat, and cover until ready to serve.